Security bollards are an important safety feature for many businesses, public spaces, and construction sites. They can be valuable in preventing vehicles from entering restricted areas or damaging property. However, like any other piece of safety equipment, it is essential to service security bollards regularly to ensure they are performing as intended and remain in good condition.
In this article, we discuss how often security bollards should be serviced and the benefits of regular maintenance.
What Are Security Bollards?
Security bollards are posts that are embedded into the ground to create barriers or restrict access to certain areas. They are made from heavy-duty materials such as steel or concrete and can be either static posts or removable. Their main purpose is to prevent vehicles from entering restricted areas or damaging property.
Even with the durability that security bollards offer the materials they are made of or placed in can degrade over time. So, as with all security measures they need to be serviced to ensure they are operating as they should.
How Often Should Security Bollards be Serviced?
The frequency of servicing security bollards depends on a few factors, including the environment they are in and their usage level.
Generally speaking, these bollards should be serviced at least once a year, and more often if they are exposed to harsher conditions or they experience high levels of usage. So, every three to six months, when you use a bollard installation service, such as those found at Bison Security Posts, they should recommend how often your bollards need servicing.
In our case, we also offer one-off bollard repair services and long-term bollard servicing packages!
Benefits of Regular Servicing
Regular servicing of security bollards can have numerous benefits, including:
- Improved safety – Regular servicing helps to ensure that the bollards are in good condition and working properly. This means that they are more likely to be effective in preventing vehicles from entering restricted areas or damaging property.
- Long-term cost savings – Servicing your bollards regularly can help to extend their life and prevent expensive repairs or replacements down the line.
How to Properly Service Security Bollards
When servicing security bollards, it is important to follow proper procedures. Your service may depend on the number of moving parts in your bollard, for example, an electric bollard, like the Stoppy B Automatic Bollard has more moving parts and electrical components, so may require a more thorough service. However, in general, these are the steps every service should follow:
- Cordon off the area – Put out some traffic cones and a sign to say you are working, this is a health and safety measure for pedestrians.
- Inspect the bollards – Check the bollards for signs of damage or wear and tear, such as scratches, dents, rusting or cracking.
- Clean and lubricate – Use a mild detergent to clean the bollards, then apply a lubricant to any moving parts.
- Re-align and tighten – Check that the bollards are properly aligned and all screws and fixings are tight.
- Test – If possible, test the bollards by applying pressure or an impact to ensure they are functioning correctly.
If any issues are detected then you may need to replace your bollard or a repair might be possible. For more information on this, check our comprehensive guide on bollard maintenance.
In conclusion, security bollards are an important safety feature for many businesses and public spaces. To ensure that they remain in good condition and continue to be effective in preventing vehicles from entering restricted areas or damaging property, it is essential to service these bollards regularly. Regular servicing of your security bollards can help to improve safety as well as offer long-term savings.
If you are looking for an experienced team to install and service your driveway security bollards, look no further than Bison Security Posts. We offer a wide range of high-quality products and services that are designed to keep your property safe.
Contact us today to find out more about how we can help!